Music can help enhance healthy living. New studies suggest that music can be more powerful than medication. People use music to distract themselves from a painful or stressful situation, or perhaps while studying or working out to up their performance. You may have sensed that music helps you feel better somehow and thus enhance your health.
Scientist recently discovered that listening to music increases positive emotion through the reward center of our brain, thereby stimulating the release of dopamine which can make us feel good and elated. Music has a historic role in healing and cultural rituals, and this has led researchers to consider ways in which music can enhance healthy living.
In many cases, music’s positive impact on health have been more powerful than medication. Here are some ways in which music enhances healthy living.
· Its healthy for the heart: Studies have shown that blood flows more easily when music is played. Playing songs like piano worship music also helps reduce heart rate, lower blood pressure, decreases cortisol level which is a stress hormone and increases serotonin and endorphin levels in the blood.
· Music elevates mood: Music can help boost the brain’s production of the hormone dopamine. The increased release of dopamine helps relieve feelings of depression and anxiety.
· It helps reduce stress: It has been proven scientifically that listening to music can relieve stress by triggering biochemical stress reducers.
· Music helps stimulate memories: Although there is no cure for Alzheimer disease or dementia, music therapy has proven that it can help relieve some of its symptoms. Music therapy can relax an agitated patient, improve the mood and also open communication in patients.
· Music help to manage and ease pain: Music therapy can also assist in pain management; it can meaningfully reduce the perceived intensity of pain especially in intensive care or palliative medicine.
Music can help improve mood, decrease pain and anxiety and facilitate an opportunity for emotional expression, therefore enhancing healthy living. Music is of benefit to our physical and mental health generally.